What We Do
The second phase of the Migration and Sustainable Development in The Gambia project (MSDG2) will run for 4 years from 2019 to 2022. The specific activities of the project are:
- Capacity Development: Accredited training and Continuous Professional Development (CPD) in Migration, Diaspora and Development (MDD), Public Sector Management (PSM), and Consular Services and Diaspora Diplomacy (CSDD).
- Diaspora Engagement: Action research for evidence-based implementation; Websites to enhance diaspora engagement; Social media app and online network for Gambian Diaspora-Development Organisations; Webinars and radio programmes with Ministries, Departments, Agencies, Embassies, and Non-State Institutions; Convene the annual Stake in the Nation Forum (SNF) as mandated in the National Development Plan.
- Diaspora as Eighth Region: Revamp diaspora consular and migrant welfare services, and initiate a programme of Gambian diaspora diplomacy; Enhance government and civil society role in regional and global policy processes; Initiate diaspora participation in municipal government deliberations; Facilitate diaspora out-of-country voting at elections; and facilitate the structuring and operations for the Gambia Diaspora Directorate.
- Diaspora Investment: Initiate structured Gambia Diaspora Technical Support (GDTS), targeting diaspora experts and specialists; Partnership with the Central Bank of The Gambia on reducing the cost of remittances, and structuring diaspora bonds to fund community amenities; Technical and financial support to diaspora social enterprises and job-creating businesses.
The Office of the President stated: “Two decades of dictatorship has degraded the capacity, spirit and effectiveness of the public sector institutions in The Gambia…..Through the MSDG Technical Cooperation Programme, we expect GK Partners to facilitate the implementation of the Gambia Diaspora Strategy”.
During the pilot phase of the MSDG project from August 2017 to December 2018, activities were undertaken successfully under two broad categories as set out below.
Optimising the Benefits of Migration for Gambian Development
- Research, consultation and production of a 10-Year Gambian Diaspora Strategy
- Concept and structure of a Gambia Diaspora Directorate, and creation of project website
- Inauguration of an annual ‘Stake in the Nation Forum’
- Framework for reducing the transaction costs of remittances.
Improving Implementation and Operational Capacity and Effectiveness
- Initial mapping of the structures, services and activities of selected Ministries
- Professional training of senior officials on diaspora-development and operational effectiveness
- Support government engagement in global and bilateral migration and development processes
- Review and analysis of government and programme effectiveness.