‘Migration and Sustainable Development in The Gambia’
Welcome to the website for the ‘Migration and Sustainable Development in The Gambia’ (MSDG) project. The goals of this Technical Cooperation Project are:
- Enhance the contribution of Gambian diaspora to different aspects of Gambian development
- Facilitate structured and effective coordination of diaspora engagement and development action
- Facilitate productive and sustainable reintegration of returning Gambian migrants
- Reduce the transaction costs of remittances to The Gambia
- Improve the knowledge and skills of Gambian professionals and government officials in the field of migration and sustainable development.
Optimising the Benefits of Migration for Gambian Development
- Research, consultation and production of a 10-Year Gambian Diaspora Strategy
- Structuring and creation of a Gambia Diaspora Directorate and website
- Inauguration of an annual ‘Stake in the Nation Forum’
- Scheme to reduce the transaction costs of remittances.
Improving Implementation and Operational Capacity and Effectiveness
- Mapping of the structures, services and activities of selected Ministries
- Professional training in diaspora-development and operational effectiveness
- Support government engagement in global migration and development processes
- Review and analysis of government and programme effectiveness.